Johnson & Gramacy Wedding
Leah Renee Johnson
Programs, Seating Charts, Photos and Video
Welcome Friends and Family
Welcome to our wedding web page! Here you will find lots of information about the event, and about fun things to do/see in beautiful Santa Cruz, CA where we spent five wonderful years getting to know one another. Oh, and managing to get Ph.D.s at the same time. Bonus!
For more information about us, our families, and our wedding party, visit our biography page.
Venue, Accomodation, and Travel information
The ceremony and reception will take place in the beautiful outdoor garden of Theo's Restaurant in Soquel, CA, about 3 miles outside of Santa Cruz, CA. Theo's is one of our favorite restaurants, and one of the best in the county.
Santa Cruz is a popular tourist destination (see below), with many hotels in all price ranges. We have reserved a block of rooms at a discount for folks attending our wedding at the Coast Santa Cruz Hotel. Mention the Johnson/Gramacy wedding for a special rate. Hotels nearby the Coast Santa Cruz Hotel are priced similarly, and have similar ocean views. Hotels on Ocean Street may be less expensive since they are not on the beach. Both locations are close to downtown Santa Cruz.
If you are flying, we recommend using San Jose International Airport (SJC), which is 30 miles from Santa Cruz, over San Francisco or Oakland which are 60+ miles away.
- from Los Angeles to Santa Cruz (Coast Hotel)
- from Coast Hotel to Theo's Restaurant (with the corrected address)
Note that there is an error in the address for Theo's Restaurant as printed on the invitation. The correct address is
3101 N. Main, Soquel CA 95073
Fun/Food in the sun in Santa Cruz
Make it into a vaction! There are lots of fun things to do in Santa Cruz. Here are some of our favorites.
- Wine tasting: Bonny Doon Vineyard is a truly "Santa Cruz" experience. David Bruce makes world-class Pinot Noir. The Burrell School and Byington tasting rooms are nearby, and offer spectacular views of the Santa Cruz mountains. The Bargetto tasting room is one block from Theo's restaurant, where the wedding will take place. There are dozens more in the county. Visit the Santa Cruz Winegrowers Association.
- Outdoors: Santa Cruz is an outdoor paradise. If you get tired of the beach you can go two miles inland and find yourself in a dense redwood forest with lots of great trails. Consider Wilder Ranch and Henry Cowell Redwoods state parks. There are some nice mountain biking trails at Wilder Ranch, and quiet roads in the mountains and along the coast for all you road bikers. Ocean Kayaking is another fun outdoor activity, with various companies offering guided tours, or renting gear.
- Monterey and the Aquarium are only 40 miles away to the south. San Francisco is only 60 miles to the north. Both can be accessed from Santa Cruz via scenic drives along Highway 1.
- Restaurants: Besides Theo's, there are lots of other really excellent restaurants
in Santa Cruz. Here are some of our favorites.
There are many other great places to eat, many downtown and near the pier.
Key: $: ~$10/entree, $$: ~$15, $$$: ~$25, R: reservations recommended.
- Ristorante Avanti has affordable fine Italian dishes with local and organic ingredients ($$/R).
- Casablanca part of a hotel near between the boardwalk and pier ($$$/R).
- Pearl Alley Bistro is another tiny but excellent restaurant ($$$/R).
- Omei has "provincial" (untraditional, but) creative Chinese food ($$/R).
- Parwana has Afghani cuisine and an impressive tea menu ($-$$/R).
- The Crepe Place is a Santa Cruz standard. ($/R)
- Chocolate a cute cafe with light entrees, but best known for its desserts and hot-chocolate ($).
- Shogun sushi & Japanese cuisine ($$/R).
- Saturn Cafe a Santa Cruz favorite for diner-style vegetarian with yummy milkshakes and fries (<$).
- Walnut Cafe specializes in breakfasts (<$).
- Zachary's another great place for breakfast (<$).
- Sestri proper fine Italian ($$$/R).
This map shows the locations of the restaurants above.
We are registered at Williams Sonoma, Crate & Barrel, and Macy's. Also, we plan to visit New Zealand for our honeymoon, 13--28 June, and would gratefully accept contributions towards this trip. For other gift ideas, please don't hesitate to contact us or our families.
Robert B. Gramacy & Leah R. Johnson -- 2009